Covid-19: Premises Re-opening. An update (issued on 9th July 2020)
The repair and redecoration works are in progress in both Ross and Monmouth and once the works are finished and the necessary Certificate obtained from the Archdiocese, we hope to open each church for individual prayer on one day a week (Monmouth: Wednesday; Ross: Thursday). At present, we hope this will be around the end of July in Ross and towards the end of August in Monmouth.
However, to meet the necessary safety recommendations, it will be necessary for us to have two stewards in attendance on each occasion, so we are asking for volunteers to steward. Therefore, if you can help with this please do let Fr Nick know as soon as possible (contact details below), so that a rota can be prepared for each church.
The main duties of the stewards will be:
- as a point of contact for visitors, controlling access and explaining accessible areas.
- reinforcing social distancing and hand washing (hand sanitiser will be provided).
- checking that notices, signs and barriers remain in place.
- replenishing hand washing materials.
- carrying out the cleaning of surfaces that are touched frequently (materials, gloves, etc., will be provided.
- implementing emergency procedures in event of accident or other incident.
Full guidance will be given to volunteers in advance.
With the necessary social distancing, the number of people that can be accommodated at any one time will be limited, with people sitting apart, access controlled and with one-way systems implemented, so it would also be helpful to have an idea of how many parishioners would like to take advantage of the opportunity of visiting for individual prayer, to establish if times need to be allocated. Therefore if you could let Fr Nick know in the next couple of weeks, it would be appreciated.
We are also asking for volunteers for the regular cleaning of the churches, so if you can help with this please do let Fr Nick know, so that rotas can be prepared.
Click here to find out further information.
Volunteers should not carry out parish tasks if they:
- Have symptoms or are sharing a home with someone who has coronavirus symptoms.
- Are shielding.
- Are vulnerable to infection because of age or underlying health conditions.
- Are uncomfortable about catching or spreading the virus.
In the longer term, we do not know when we will be able to open the Churches for Mass, but we will keep you informed as the situation changes.
Fr Nicholas James: The Presbytery, 26 St Mary’s Street, Monmouth. NP25 3DB
Tel No: 01600 712029